Basting notes: here’s the secret to the sauce.
Add basting sauces to grilled chicken only during the last 10-20 minutes of cooking.
Basting sauces are slightly different from marinades in that they are brushed onto the chicken while it is cooking. Apply sauces to chicken on the grill only towards the end prevents overcooking.
Check out some of our favorite basting sauces:
Original Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced celery
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup catsup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Melt butter in a fry pan.
- Add onion and sauté.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cook about 10 minutes over medium heat.
Asian Mustard Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce,
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- In a small saucepan, mix all ingredients together.
- Bring to a boil.