Turkey Herb Lasagna
Using Foster Farms Ground Turkey, this is a wonderful low fat option instead of ground beef for this wonderful Italian Classic Lasanga.
Prep Time: approx.
20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 85 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 105 minutes .
Printed from fosterfarms.com
3 tablespoons olive oil|
1 package (about 1 ¼ pounds) Foster Farms Ground Turkey Breast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon each of ground black pepper and red pepper flakes
1 large yellow onion, chopped
8 large garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup dry red wine
1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in heavy puree
1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, including juice
1 bunch fresh basil (about 1 cup tightly packed leaves), coarsely chopped
1 medium green onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup tightly packed Italian parsley, chopped
15 (2-inch wide) lasagna noodles (about 1 pound)
4 cups (1 pound) shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup (about 4 ounces) shredded Parmesan cheese
1. In a 6-quart saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add turkey; season with the salt and pepper. When turkey is no longer pink but not yet browned, stir in yellow onion and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Add wine; cook until absorbed. Add crushed and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to keep sauce at a steady simmer; cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; stir in basil, green onion, parsley, and remaining oil. Adjust salt to taste.
4. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400ºF. Cook lasagna according to package directions. Spoon about 1 cup sauce into a 9x13x2-inch baking pan. Arrange 4 cooked noodles side-by-side, lengthwise in pan; place 1 noodle crosswise at end of pan (trim if too long). Top with 2 cups sauce, 1/3 of mozzarella, and 1/3 of Parmesan. Repeat, making 3 layers; end with cheese.
5. Bake (cover with foil if needed to prevent over browning) until top begins to brown and lasagna is hot, about 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Note: Can be prepared ahead; covered and refrigerated up to 1 day. Bake at 375ºF (cover with foil as needed to prevent over browning) until top begins to brown and lasagna is hot, about 1 hour.