Foster Farms Recipe by Verda Foster
This traditional, tried, and true stuffing recipe was created by Verda Foster herself!
2 cups diced celery
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 pound butter, divided
1/2 cup milk
2 cups diced onion
1 large loaf stale bread
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place celery in small pot and cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and half of the butter. Simmer on low heat until tender. Add milk and set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, melt remaining butter, add onions, and cook on medium heat until browned. Set onions aside to cool.
- Cut bread into half-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to bowl.
- Beat eggs slightly and add to celery mixture. Pour over bread and add onion, toss until mixed.
- Dressing should be wet enough to stick together when squeezed, but dry enough to crumble. If more moisture is needed, add water. Makes enough for one 12 pound turkey or two 3-3 1/2 pound chickens.
NOTE: Do not stuff the birds too tightly, as this tends to make the stuffing heavy. Excess dressing can be placed in an oven-proof dish, and baked in oven covered for last hour of cooking. For variation, add one of the following: chopped walnuts, almonds, or water chestnuts.