Foster Farms Recipe by Verda Foster
This traditional, tried and true stuffing recipe was created by Verda Foster herself!
2 cups diced celery
1 teaspoon salt, divided
1/4 pound butter, divided
1/2 cup milk
2 cups diced onion
1 large loaf stale bread
1 teaspoon dried sage
1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place celery in small pot and cover with water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and half of the butter. Simmer on low heat until tender. Add milk and set aside to cool.
- In a skillet, melt remaining butter, add onions and cook on medium heat until browned. Set onions aside to cool.
- Cut bread into half-inch cubes and place in a large bowl. Add sage, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to bowl.
- Beat eggs slightly and add to celery mixture. Pour over bread and add onion; toss until mixed.
- Dressing should be wet enough to stick together when squeezed, but dry enough to crumble. If more moisture is needed, add water. Makes enough for one 12-pound turkey or two 3- to 3 1/2-pound chickens.
NOTE: Do not stuff the birds too tightly, as this tends to make the stuffing heavy. Excess dressing can be placed in an oven-proof dish and baked in the oven, covered, for the last hour of cooking. For variation, add one of the following: chopped walnuts, almonds or water chestnuts.